Cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease and respiratory disease are some of the conditions that obesity can cause. Dr. Jorge Rabaza, Chief of Surgery with South Miami Hospital, explains how most of these conditions are caused or worsened by overweight.
The adjustable gastric band is not being done any more in the US. Its main disadvantage is that the weight loss is very slow, says Dr. Jorge Rabaza, Chief of Surgery with South Miami Hospital. Also he explains the gastric band is a foreign body. “As we know, the foreign bodies will get infected," he says.
Although there are many benefits to be gained when performing weight loss surgery, Dr. Jorge Rabaza, Chief of Surgery with South Miami Hospital, also says the procedure can have some risks, such as infection, bleeding, leak, and pulmonary embolism. He also explains when a patient has been obese for 30 or 40 years, he also has an excessive skin of the lower abdomen and it would require another surgical procedure. Besides the physical and health benefits, this surgery also has a mental benefit, doctor Rabaza affirms.
Changing eating habits is the most important thing to avoid obesity, affirms Dr. Jorge Rabaza, Chief of Surgery with South Miami Hospital. He also says diet is 90% important for an efficient weight loss and a healthy life plan. The other 10% is represented by exercise.
Not moving around, not eating healthily and, sometimes, hormones are some of the factors that can cause obesity, according to Dr. Jorge Rabaza, Chief of Surgery with South Miami Hospital. However, he adds the main problem is diet. He also says there are a lot of diet products in the market. “They don't work. When they came out is when the obesity epidemic in the United States started to rise, because they're pushing foods that people are going to eat but they're maintaining their weight. They're actually not doing what they're supposed to do," the doctor says.