Video individual - Health Channel

Marchman Act and Baker Act

Laura Naredo, Chief Operating Officer of South Florida Behavioral Health Network, explains if your loved one is suffering from substance abuse disorder and he is unwilling to get help, you can petition for a Marchman Act, which would allow you to get them assessed and see what level of care they would need. She also points out the Baker Act, which has to be done by a qualified professional (a doctor, a psychiatrist, a clinician, or law enforcement), and it is available for people suffering from a mental illness.

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in the programs on this channel and website are intended to address specific questions asked or situations described in each particular program, are for educational purposes only, and are not designed to constitute advice or recommendations as to any disease, ailment, or physical condition. You should not act or rely upon any information contained in these programs without seeking the advice of your personal physician or a qualified medical provider. If you have any questions about the information or opinions expressed, please contact your doctor or other medical professional.